Social Media and Digital Communications
FINRA issued guidance regarding the application of FINRA rules governing communications with the public to digital communications, in light of emerging technologies and communications innovations.
• FINRA Regulatory Notice 17-18 (April 2017): Guidance on Social Networking Websites and Business Communications
Communications With the Public
The SEC has approved amendments to FINRA rules governing communications with the public. The amendments revise the filing requirements in FINRA Rule 2210 (Communications with the Public) and FINRA Rule 2214 (Requirements for the Use of Investment Analysis Tools) and the content and disclosure requirements in FINRA Rule 2213 (Requirements for the Use of Bond Mutual Fund Volatility Ratings). The amendments became effective on January 9, 2017.
• FINRA Regulatory Notice 16-41 (October 2016): SEC Approves Amendments to Rules Governing Communications With the Public
Communications with the Public About Variable Life Insurance and Variable Annuities
As part of the process of developing a new Consolidated FINRA Rulebook, NASD Interpretive Material 2210–2 (Communications with the Public About Variable Life Insurance and Variable Annuities) has been transferred into the Consolidated FINRA Rulebook as FINRA Rule 2211 (Communications with the Public About Variable Life Insurance and Variable Annuities) without any substantive changes. The rule became effective on September 30, 2016.
• Securities Exchange Act Release No. 78851 (September 15, 2016), 81 FR 64969 (September 21, 2016) (File No. SR-FINRA-2016-036): Notice of Filing and Immediate Effectiveness of a Proposed Rule Change to Adopt NASD Interpretive Material 2210-2 as FINRA Rule 2211 (Communications with the Public About Variable Life Insurance and Variable Annuities) in the Consolidated FINRA Rulebook
Educational Communication Related to Firm Recruitment Practices and Account Transfers
The SEC approved the adoption of FINRA Rule 2273 (Educational Communication Related to Recruitment Practices and Account Transfers), which establishes an obligation to deliver an educational communication in connection with firm recruitment practices and account transfers. The rule became effective on November 11, 2016.
• FINRA Regulatory Notice 16-18 (May 2016): SEC Approves Rule Requiring Delivery of an Educational Communication to Customers of a Transferring Representative
• Educational Communication: Issues to Consider When Your Broker Changes Firms
• Broker-Dealer Recruitment Disclosures: Complying with FINRA Rule 2273
• FAQs Regarding FINRA Rule 2273